Printer Friendly and PDF

Phnom Penh: China PR strolled to their second win while Cambodia came from two goals down to score a remarkable 3-2 triumph over Myanmar in Group G of the AFC U-19 Championship 2018 Qualifiers at the National Olympic Stadium in Phnom Penh on Thursday.

Having needed a second half stoppage time goal to beat hosts Cambodia on Matchday One, China were in no mood for the same as they beat the Philippines 6-0.

China’s first goal was scored by Xia Ao in the 17th minute after his soft header slipped through the hands of Philippines keeper Quincy Julian Kammeraad.

Liu Ruofan (pictured above) then converted a penalty in the 41st minute before claiming his second with a clinical goal two minutes into time added on.

In the second half, it was Yeerfan Yezimujiang’s (pictured below) turn to steal the spotlight.

He scored in the 53rd minute after having come on only three minutes earlier, easily slotting home China’s fourth goal after winning a one-on-one encounter with keeper Kammeraad.

Yezimujiang found the back of the net again in the 72nd minute, but was ruled offside.

The hardworking forward made amends in the 82nd and 85th minutes, however, when slack defending on the part of the Philippines left him unmarked to seal a hat-trick.

The win means China are on track to seal automatic qualification for the AFC U-19 Championship 2018. They play Myanmar in their final group match on Saturday. 

For the Philippines, it was their second consecutive defeat, having also suffered a 6-0 defeat to Myanmar on Tuesday. 

Jia Xiuquan: China PR head coach

“It was an overall better performance than our first game against Cambodia. Our players are getting better and progressing. This win came about as we adjusted our techniques and perspectives from the first match, and we will continue to do the same in our next match.”

Jose Maria Aberasturi: Philippines head coach

“China were just too strong for us. We tried to hold them, but failed. We lost to a better team today.”

Hosts Cambodia kept it to the very last minute, and then some, to pull-off a 3-2 win over Myanmar in a hard-fought, fast-paced tie at the National Olympic Stadium.

Myanmar, on a high following their 6-0 win over the Philippines in their first match, opened the scoring in the 33rd minute when forward Hein Htet Aung scored off a goalmouth scramble.

Lwin Moe Aung added to their tally with a screamer from outside the box in the 35th minute to claim his second goal of the qualifiers.

Cambodia, who lost 1-0 to China scored during time added on in their opening match, reduced the deficit in the 59th minute courtesy of forward Sin Kakada, who floated in a free-kick from just outside the box to leave keeper Htet Wai Yan Soe with no chance at all.

Kakada then repeated his feat in the 90th minute, with an exact replica of his first goal from almost the same spot to bring the hosts level.

With three minutes into time added on, forward San Kimheng tapped in a close-range shot that sent the crowd to their feet and gave the hosts their first win of the qualifiers. 

Inoue Kazunori: Cambodia head coach

"It was a tough game, and our opponents were better in the first half as they had a bigger share of the ball. But we controlled the second half. I am really satisfied and happy with the players for changing the situation around. I told them to play for the nation after the first half, and that really motivated them."

Chit Naing: Myanmar head coach

“We dominated the first half, but in the second half, Cambodia came back so strongly. Our players have to be more confident, and create more spaces and opportunities. I salute the Cambodian players for their fighting spirit and teamwork.” 

Photos: AFC